NATIONHOOD AND JERUSALEM
• Israel became a nation in 1312 BC, two thousand years before the rise of Islam.
• Arab refugees in Israel began identifying themselves as part of a Palestinian people in 1967, two
decades after the establishment of the modern State of Israel.
• Since the Jewish conquest in 1272 BC the Jews have had dominion over the land for one
thousand years with a continuous presence in the land for the past 3,300 years. The only Arab
dominion since the conquest in 635 CE lasted no more than 22 years. For over 3,300 years
Jerusalem has been the Jewish capital. Jerusalem has never been the capital of any Arab or
Muslim entity. Even when the Jordanians occupied Jerusalem, they never sought to make it
their capital, and Arab leaders did not come to visit.
• Jerusalem is mentioned over 700 times in the Tanach, the Jewish Holy Scriptures. Jerusalem is
notmentioned once in the Koran.
• King David founded the city of Jerusalem. Mohammed never came to Jerusalem.
• Jews pray facing Jerusalem. Muslims pray facing Mecca.